Lead poisoning in animals is uncommon but it may occur from the ingestion of fishing sinkers when connected to bait or by ingestion of lead-containing dust or paint when your pet is grooming their contaminated coat.
Lead toxicity results in symptoms predominantly involving the gastrointestinal tract and central nervous system. In acute poisoning, signs may include loss of appetite, vomiting, behavior changes, lethargy, tremors, and intermittent seizures.
Signs of chronic lead toxicity tend to be more vague and may include abdominal discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy, weight loss, anemia, behavior changes and intermittent seizures.
Management of lead toxicity may include; decontamination techniques, supportive treatments or chelation therapy. It is also very important to identify the source of lead and limit any future exposures by removing the source of contamination. - 2 hours ago